Saturday, September 19, 2015

Coconut Whipped Cream

I finally jumped on the bandwagon and tried homemade coconut whipped cream. 

It requires a bit of planning in advance - you need to refrigerate a can of full fat coconut milk overnight, so that the cream gets super thick and cold, and separates from the milk.

When you open the can, scoop the thick cream into your mixing bowl, and save 
the watery milk for a smoothie.

Beat the cream until soft peaks begin to form.  At this point I stopped and had a taste, and then added some vanilla and a spoonful of icing sugar.  I didn't want it super sweet, but just a bit more 
than it was.  Next time I would add just a bit more sugar.  
Just add a bit, beat, and taste again until you are happy.

When the cream is nice and thick, after 5 to 10 minutes of whipping, you're ready to go!
We had ours with fruit for breakfast.  Delicious.


My annoying family told me they liked it, but then no one wanted to have it again, on fruit, waffles, or ice cream.  I had it with fruit a couple more times, and then threw the rest into a smoothie.
The cream holds up very well once whipped.  
It should last a good few days in the fridge.