Friday, July 17, 2015

Pickled Beets

I have a love/hate relationship with beets.  

For a long time there was only hate.  My mom would make borscht every fall.  Pots and pots of it.
Not my favorite.

I like them better now, although I mostly like them grated into veggie pancakes or diced in salads.

What I don't like is the mess.  The mess!  The red fingers.  The stained cloths and towels.  Grabbing my white cutting board instead of the black one.  The juice splattered everywhere from little dye bombs masquerading as vegetables.  
I am horribly messy in the kitchen without the added fun bonus of beet juice.

I'd bought a bunch of beets recently to use in a pork recipe, and the rest sat in the fridge ignored.  I didn't want to put off using them too long, but nothing was inspiring me to use them.  And then I thought - pickles!  Easy and guaranteed to be eaten by my husband, who has never met a pickled vegetable he didn't immediately devour.

I used this recipe at My Recipes.  With 6 ingredients and less than an hour we had a jar of pickled beets in the fridge, a happy husband, neon pink fingers, and another stained shirt.


Recipe: Easy Pickled Beets