Sunday, January 12, 2014

Chicken Cordon Bleu-ish

Before Christmas my friend at work brought the 2 of us in lunch that she had made at home -a Chicken Cordon Bleu casserole. 
It was really tasty, and I added it to my mental list of dishes to make. 

Last weekend I realized I had all the main ingredients for such a casserole - chicken, leftover New Years ham, cheese - but I couldn't find a recipe online that sounded nearly as good as the one made for me. 
So I made Chicken Cordon Bleu. Ish. 

All my stuff -chicken breasts, ham, cheese (I had mozzarella), seasoned flour, beaten eggs, and bread crumbs.


I sliced the chicken in half horizontally, and bashed them with a mallet until they were quite thin.  Then I seasoned one piece, layered on some ham and cheese, and topped with a second chicken piece.  I used a couple of toothpicks to try to keep the pieces as one.  
A quick dunk in the flour, egg wash bath, roll in the bread crumbs.  Easy.

I heated some olive oil over medium heat and cooked the chicken until nice and brown.



THEN, I popped them into a 400' oven for about 10 minutes, to make sure they were cooked through.


Ooooh, look at that ooey gooey cheese.


Yum!  These were so good, and from start to finish took less than an hour.
Just remember to take out the toothpicks before serving.  I didn't.


So good, so easy, so going to be made again soon.