Wednesday, December 18, 2013

I made Chex Mix!

I have long wanted to make Chex Mix but I could never find Chex cereal in our stores. Is this a new thing to Canada, I wonder? Anyhoo, I spotted a box of Rice Chex on my Sunday morning shopping. Super cool! 

The box had ingredient lists (recipes inside the box) for 3 different kinds - 2 sweet and one savory. I also picked up some peanuts and pretzels and dashed home... 

I wasn't too interested in the recipes inside the box, so I decided to change the original recipe I found online to suit us. 


My version of the mix - 
4 cups Rice Chex 
1 generous cup peanuts 
1 generous cup pretzels (I used hand broken pretzel sticks for that artisnal feel) 
65 grams butter, melted 
1 tb Worcestershire sauce 
3/4 tsp seasoned salt 
1/2 tsp onion powder 
1/2 tsp garlic powder
 Preheat your oven to 250' 
Toss your cereal, nuts and pretzels together in a large bowl. 
Stir the Worcestershire, salt and garlic and onion powder into the melted butter and mix well. 
Pour the butter mixture over the dry ingredients and stir until all the dry ingredients are coated. 
Pour onto a parchment lined baking sheet. 
Bake, stirring every 15 minutes, for 45 minutes total.