Monday, August 20, 2007

RedRum Raspberry Sauce

Now don't worry. I haven't turned into a writer slipping into insanity in a secluded hotel in the middle of winter. I'm simply a girl with some rum and rapidly-going-downhill-raspberries. Rather than toss them because they are getting a bit too mushy, I turned them into a versatile sauce. Go me!

RedRum Raspberry Sauce

1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup raspberries, washed
1 shot rum

Bring the water and sugar to a boil over medium high heat. Cook, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Reduce the heat and add the raspberries. Gently simmer the sauce until the raspberries have broken down fully, 10-15 minutes. Add the rum and simmer for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool 10 minutes. Now at this point you could let the sauce cool and use it as is. I prefer to strain it. Place a fine mesh strainer over a bowl and pour in the sauce. Use a wooden spoon or ladle to push through as much of the fruit as possible while leaving the seeds behind. Let cool and refrigerate until ready to use.

As soon as dinner was over we had some over frozen vanilla yogurt:



We also made a fizzy drink: Soda water with the syrup flavored to taste:


If I'd had my wits about me, I would have saved some for drizzling over a piece of angel food cake, or maybe some sliced pineapple. Guess I'll have to get some more raspberries. And more rum.

Raspberries are full of fibre, high in Vitamin C and Vitamin K, and high in Antioxidants, making this perfect for Antioxidant Rich Food Tuesday over at Sweetnicks. All that goodness and good for you! What's not to love?

6 comments:

Patricia Scarpin said...

Sara, the color is so beautiful and vibrant, I love this recipe!

Annie said...

Good for you!

Hey that's how I usually come up with the best recipes- something needs to be used before it goes bad, I panic and come up with a super idea!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

I can see how that would be good! I quite often make frozen yoghurt in my ice cream maker, so I will remember this sauce. Very easy! I usually have rum around to make Jerked Honey Rum Glaze, which Graham loves on Halloumi cheese!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Yes, I think get more and have the yoghurt and the angle food cake with the sauce! This is beautiful. You go girl, yeeha!

Sara said...

Patricia - thank you!

Annie - I hope there are more almost bad raspberries in my future. The sauce was soooo good.

Holler - I tried your recipe for the halloumi and sauce - it was really excellent, except the jerk spice i used wasn't really great. I'm going to buy some new stuff so I can make it again.

Tanna - Thanks!!!

breadchick said...

Yes Sara!! Go YOU!!!! This sauce is so lovely looking and I have some raspberries in my fridge that need to be used. Guess what I'm making!!!