Friday, April 06, 2007

T is for...

T is for Taco.
Who: Taco
What: A Mexican style sandwich wrapping flour or corn tortillas around various fillings.
When: In the 1500's a Spanish soldier who had come to The New World wrote about the dish that used fillings such as fish and insects.
Where: The popularity of Tacos has spread from Mexico, where the Tortilla is a food staple, to all over North America and beyond.
Why: Why not? They're delicious, easy, versatile and fast. Tacos are a great way to sneak lots of veggies into a meal too.

Tortillas for tacos can be soft or hard. In the United States, the hard tacos are the most popular.
Popular fillings for tacos include ground beef, sliced steak or chicken, chorizo sausage, beans, lettuce, tomatos, onions, cheese.

Also popular: salsa, guacamole, cilantro, hot sauce, lime juice.

Did you know? There are more than 6,500 Taco Bells in the US.



Fish Tacos

300 g Tilapia, cut in strips or chunks
juice of 1 lime
1 tb oil
1 tsp chile powder
1/2 tsp cumin
salt

for the taco assembly:
flour tortillas
salsa
sour cream
guacamole
tomatos
onions
chopped cilantro


Whisk together the lime juice, oil, chile powder, cumin and salt. Toss together with the fish in a bowl. Let sit for 20-30 minutes. Heat a large skillet over high heat with a bit of oil. Drain the marinade off the fish and add the fish to the pan. Cook until the fish is done and a bit crispy.

Layer the fish and other desired toppings in the tortillas, roll and serve.



Chicken Tacos with Pineapple Salsa

For the chicken, we use rotisserie chicken from the grocery store cut in chunks. Heat the chicken and some taco seasoning in a small pan over medium heat until the chicken is hot.

Place your tortillas on a microwave safe plate and cover with damp paper towel. Microwave for 20-30 seconds until warm. Place one tortilla on a plate and top with the chicken, slices of tomato, onion, or whatever suits you. Top with pineapple salsa and roll up.

Pineapple Salsa

1 cup diced fresh pineapple
1/4 cup diced red onion
1 tb chopped cilantro
lime juice to taste (start with about 1/4 of a lime)
pinch of salt
pinch or two of cumin

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Taste and adjust lime, salt or cumin if needed.



Bean and Vegetable Taco with Avocado "Cream"

Warm up your flour tortillas as directed above. Heat some black or refried beans and spread on the tortilla. Add your choice of veggies - lettuce, sliced radish, tomatos, sliced avocados, onions, whatever. Top with the Avocado "Cream", roll up and serve.

Avocado "Cream"

1 avocado, peeled, pitted and mashed
2-4 tb plain yogurt or sour cream
1-2 tsp chipolte salsa OR chiplote en adobo, or to taste
lime juice
salt


Mix the avocado, yogurt and salsa together. Taste and add more yogurt or salsa to your liking. Squeeze in some lime juice and season with salt if needed.


**We use soft flour tortillas because those are our favorites. Use hard shells if that's what you like.**


Previous Alphabet Posts:
A is for Artichoke
B is for Beet
C is for Carrot
D is for Dogs
E is for Egg
F is for Fondue
G is for Garlic
H is for Hamburger
I is for Indian Food
J is for Jamie Oliver
K is for Kaffir Lime Leaves
L is for Lobster
M is for Mushroom
N is for Noodle
O is for Onion
P is for Pub Food
Q is for Quinoa
R is for Rice
S is for Sushi

6 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I can't believe you are almost thru the alphabet! I should have guessed taco but still I was thinking tea!
Wonderful taco ideas and so fun to show them before the wrap.
Another wonderful post.
But did I really want to know there are 6500 Taco Bells in this country...sounds like way to many.

Lis said...

Ohhh how I love me my tacos! I've always wanted to try fish tacos, but they are kinda hard to come by here in the armpit of the midwest.

Thanks for sharing the recipe.. now I can make my own!

Happy Easter sweetie!
xoxo

Peabody said...

I love the use of the pineapple salas...very different.

Pamela said...

Great post Sara and wonderful food!!!

Sara said...

Tanna - I am sort of glad to be almost done, but I am thinking I might do it again...I must be crazy!

Jeena - thanks for visiting, I will visit you soon!

Lis - hope you give them a try, and hope you had a good Easter too.

Peabody - I love pineapple anyway I can get it. The next morning for breakfast I just rolled some of the salsa in a tortilla. So good.

Pamela - thank you!

jbeach said...

Mmmm! I like the sound of those veggie tacos with the avocado cream. I will be adding that to my favorite vegetable taco recipe. Thanks!!