Friday, May 19, 2006

Mothers Day Week - Lemon Bread

Here's the last Mothers Day post. This was fun and brought back a lot of memories about me and my mom in the kitchen. I found this recipe the other night while looking for another one of my mom's recipes to post. I loved helping my mom make this because she'd "let" me squeeze the lemons (Yeah right let me...who likes to do that? NO ONE. That is what gullable children are for.) I haven't had this in years and years, but I can remember exactly what it tastes like. The sugary shock of the lemon juice poured over top, the crumbly cake...I might need to make this very soon.

Lemon Bread

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
rind of 1 lemon
juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup sugar

Combine shortening thru lemon rind and pour into a greased loaf pan. Bake at 350' for 1 hour. Mix together the sugar and lemon juice and pour over the cake while still hot. Let cool and remove from the pan.

1 comment:

purplecupcake said...

YUM, lemon bread! Sounds great, I might try to make this next week. Thanks for the recipe...