Thursday, July 21, 2005

Embarrassing food stories

Everyone has at least one whether you want to admit it or not. To be honest, I can't think of a ton, I'm sure I've just blocked them out though.
I remember trying a yogurt marinated chicken dish once that was thrown out after one bite.
I remember making spring rolls for a friend and her boyfriend and accidentally using rice wrappers instead of wonton wrappers and having them explode in the oil.
Lots of overcooking/undercooking things like hams, roasts and chicken.
And of course I have subjected poor Scott to all kinds of recipes pulled from magazines, books and websites that weren't so great.

A girl I knew told me a story about making a chicken dish to impress a boy, but the chicken was still raw (and cold!) when she served it.

A friend of mine tried to make caramel bowls for a dessert for her boyfriends parents, but instead of making caramel from water and sugar, melted Kraft caramels and poured them over inverted bowls, and stood in the kitchen waiting for them to harden.

But this is my most embarrassing food story. And really, it isn't even embarrassing to me! I had a boyfriend who lived with his parents, and I spent a lot of time there. One time I asked if I could make them dinner. It was summer, and where I lived had very hot summers. So I decided to do a light soup and a salad. I made a garden salad and a corn soup. I made the dinner, we all sat down, and took a spoonful of soup. To me it was GREAT. My boyfriend, who had had it before, liked it too. His parent's didn't. They took one bite and pushed it away. They would not even touch the salad. I was so embarrassed.
All they did was complain - why would I make soup? Why would I have salad? Where was the meat? The bread? The soup was all vegetables, why was that? They got up from the table, and the mom said - We are going to A&W for hamburgers - do you two want to come?
God, I was so offended. I NEVER cooked for them again. Even when their son and I moved to a different city together. When they came to visit, I made my boyfriend take care of the food. And believe me, he wasn't much better. Their eating habits were atrocious. One of his mothers special dinners was ground beef mixed with ketchup served over boiled potatos. White bread on the side. EW!

Corn Soup, origin unknown.

1 Tb margerine or butter
1 small onion, chopped
Frozen corn, or fresh off the cob
1 potato, peeled, diced and parboiled until tender
Pinch hot pepper flakes
1/2 cup half and half or milk
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 tsp salt
1/8/ tsp pepper
parsley for garnish

Saute the onion in the margerine or butter until tender but not brown. Add the rest of the ingredients (I know there is no amount for corn, just put some in until it looks good to you) and simmer gently for 15 minutes.

Now you tell me, who could turn their noses up at that?!?!?!

4 comments:

Ana said...

That corn soup sounds delicious Sara. I happen to have some corn in the fridge (hope it is still good) but I have no potato left. If the corn is good I might try without the potato and will let you know.

I can relate to your post below. I decided that I'm going to do clean-up this weekend. I feel terrible but sometimes I let veggies go past their prime. I have so many good ideas when I buy my groceries and then, many times, when I come home I just don't feel like cooking.

Anonymous said...

Haha! What a great post Sara. I can totally relate to you stories. Too funny!

I once sent a dish back to the kitchen ranting about cilantro, only have the chef bring it back out telling me it was parsely. I swear I tasted cilantro! :o)

Anonymous said...

Early in my cooking days I made a chicken stew with red wine. Everyone laughed because the chicken pieces turned purple.

Ruth Daniels said...

Love the post and ...who ARE these people! I love the soup and just might make some this weekend.