Thursday, August 18, 2016

MYOR (Make Your Own Ramen)

We are super duper late jumping on the ramen train.  But better late than never, right?

We've eaten ramen out only a few times - once here in town, and a couple of times in Vancouver.

Making it at home seems like such a hassle - some of the recipes I've read are so complicated and long and quite frankly, too many expensive ingredients.

We picked up a couple of instant ramen packs when shopping a few weeks ago, and made a quick, um, healthy-ish lunch with them.

I'll tell you about the boys first, since there are no photos.
Seasood ramen, cooked to package directions.  In the last minute of cooking, some small cooked shrimp were added to the pot, along with some baby corn.  The mister added finely chopped onion and green onion to his bowl.  They both slurped it down.

Mine was a package of "original" ramen, cooked to package directions, then I drained off about half the water before adding in the seasoning packet.  While the noodles were cooking, I chopped up some leftover curry chicken and put it in the bottom of my soup bowl, along with some leftover green peas and a couple of handfuls of frozen spinach.  When the noodles were cooked and the seasoning was added, I spooned the noodles and broth over the meat and veg in the bowl, then left it to sit while I chopped some fruits and veg to go with the soup.  After about 10 minutes, I stirred it up.



It was so good!  All the flavors went well together and the veg made me feel better about eating the noodles and soup base.  :)
I was happy we'd given it a try, and we will definitely be doing more ramen experimenting at home.