Thursday, October 07, 2010

Japadog

In the spring I visited Vancouver twice and it was my goal, my mission, to eat at Japa Dog at least once. And I did.

The hardest part was finding them, what with my very bad map reading skills. At the time they were working on opening their first store front on Robson St, which they've now done, and so I had to hunt down one of their carts. Finally I found one AND managed to be near it during operating hours!


After a brief wait, in which I could read the list of all the "famous" people who've eaten there (Today show people, Anthony Bourdain, Steven Segal) we got our dogs. I got the Terimayo, a hot dog with teriyaki sauce, Japanese mayo and seaweed.


Scott got what I think was the Oroshi dog, with grated radish, green onion, and "special" soy sauce.

Verdict - they were both pretty good. The seaweed was awkward to eat, as lots of the pieces blew off as we ate on the side of the road. But teryiaki and mayo can make stuff like that all better. The grated radish was very refreshing and delicious. If I was hungry and in the area, I would most likely go back.