Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Can you cook Rachael Ray recipes in 30 minutes? Recipe 3 - Tostadas

Recipe number 3 in this project is Roasted Corn Tostadas.

Pretty straightforward. Corn roasted on the bbq, then cut off the cob. Tortillas toasted with beans and cheese, then topped with the corn and various other toppings. Delicious and fast, yes? Delicious, yes. Fast, surprisingly no!

I think it was our really really hot weather, but I was really rushing with this one. I chose to use the grill to cook the corn and warm the tortillas but I was warm and beginning to feel queasy. Even though the grill was super hot it took longer that the recipe stated to grill the corn. Then I grilled the tortillas, which I couldn't walk away from, so then they had to sit there and get congealed while I cut the corn, assembled, etc.


How long did it take?


A surprising 33 minutes. If I hadn't been rushing, I think it would have been in the 40's.

However, this was my favorite of the 3 recipes so far. If you replaced the grilled corn with some additional veggies or some sort of leftover, this would be a really quick dinner. I love tortillas and try to keep them on hand at all times. This would be something I would definitely make when I'm back at work.

HOWEVER, the chipolte cream was a disaster. The cream curdled and was so unappetizing looking I couldn't bear to put it on the tostadas. We went with salsa instead and I flushed the cream down the toilet.

2 out of 3 recipes have been made in 30 minutes or less. Tomorrow - chicken.