Thursday, April 22, 2010

Wedge Salad

When I was young, my favorite salad was a slab of iceberg lettuce with salad dressing on it. (Who knew I was such a connoisseur in my early years?) I had no idea that a wedge of iceberg was a classic salad. I have in one of my notebooks for a Martha Stewart iceberg salad recipe - a wedge of lettuce drizzled with homemade buttermilk dressing. The photo looks so refreshing and inviting. Perfect for a warm spring or summer day.

It hit me the other night that now is the perfect time to try this, as I bought too much lettuce on my last shopping trip. I cut a nice slab of lettuce (and washed and dried it), placed it on a plate, then sprinkled it with diced tomato and snipped chives. Then I pulled out the blue cheese dressing and voila:


Delicious, and open to endless possibilities!

I'm thinking avocado, tomato and bacon with blue cheese or ranch dressing
or
diced bell pepper, cheddar cheese and salsa
or maybe a take on one of my favorite salads -
slivered almonds, shredded jack cheese, dill dressing

Mmmm mmm mmmmmmm!