Monday, March 22, 2010

Bread Baking Babes - Gluten Free No Knead Hearty Seeded Sandwich Bread


This month the Bread Baking Babes venture into new, uncharted territory - Gluten Free Bread.

Our Kitchen of the Month this month is Mary, and she chose for us to bake
Gluten Free No Knead Hearty Seeded Sandwich Bread
from Nancy Baggett's Kneadlessly Simple.

I've never made gluten free bread before, so I wasn't sure what to expect. We used a variety of flours, including white rice flour, brown rice flour, tapioca starch, and ground flax seed.


This is a 2 day bread, with a rather soupy dough spending some time in the fridge and on the counter before having the last few ingredients added in. I admit I had some trouble, as I often do, gauging if I had added enough flour or not. At the time I thought I had, but after baking I'm not so sure.

The bread did not rise above the edge of the loaf pan, and the top was sort of lumpy and cracked. It smelled absolutely amazing, and had a nice earthy flavor. The texture was a little more crumbly that I expected, but then again this is my first gluten free loaf, so I really don't know what I should have expected.


Sort of a funny looking bread.

Please head over to Mary's for the recipe. If you are interested in being a Bread Baking Buddy, you've got until March 31 to get your posts to Mary.

And as always, please head over to the sites of the other Babes, listed over on the right, to see their breads.

Cheers!

6 comments:

NKP said...

Great job! Yours looks like it formed a decent dough and loaf - I am glad you guys liked it!

Cookie baker Lynn said...

It is difficult to do such a totally different kind of bread - you have no idea what "right" looks like! It looks like yours turned out great!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

You're right, I didn't know what to expect! I like the crust on this one.
Now we can say we've done Gluten Free:)

breadchick said...

Sweets, your bread and crumb are exactly what most gluten free breads achieve.

I'm glad you liked it!

Lien said...

Looks like a great loaf to me too Sara! But what in the world are we gonna do with all that tapioca flour!!!

Sara said...

Mary, thanks for letting me know. I should have kept the thought in my head that it would not necessarily look exactly like a "regular" loaf.

Lien - if you have any ideas for all that tapioca, let me know!!! :)