Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Blog Party 30 - Veggie Friendly

It's been a few months since I've attended a Blog Party over at Dispensing Happiness. But with such a great theme for #30, how could I resist? Veggies are big in our house right now; I am new-years-resolutioning us into more veggies and less meat and processed food on a regular basis.

First up is open faced tomato sandwiches on biscuits.
Yes, it's winter and tomatos aren't really that great, but I'd rather have a not so great tomato than none at all. I've split biscuits (these are just Pillsbury), spread with a bit of mayo and some dried basil, topped them with sliced tomatos and sprinkled them with salt and pepper. So good. And good for you! Tomatos are low calorie, low fat, have no cholesterol, and are a good source of Vitamins A and C.

Next is one of my favorite lunch/dinner treats - Mango Cucumber wraps.

I spread the whole wheat wraps with a thin coating of dressing - mayo, mango chutney and curry powder - and top with shredded lettuce and chopped cucumber and mango. Normally I'd just roll them up and eat, but I watched an episode of Ricardo and Friends where he made wraps for a children's party. He wrapped them in parchment paper, tied off sections with ribbons, and then cut between the ribbons to make small wrapped servings. They looked so adorable I tried it.

Looks cute I think. PS - Cucumbers are low in calories and fat, and are good sources of calcium, iron, and Vitamin A.

And what Blog Party would be complete without a drink? I made up a batch of Dave Lieberman's Ginger Cranberry Cocktail, except I made individual drinks instead of a jug.
These were great and would be wonderful in the summer on a hot day. Ginger is not a veggie, but is still yummy. Ginger is a good source of Magnesium and Potassium, and is thought to help relieve migraines.

See you at the party!

5 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

The cocktail is so pretty! I think we might just have to have tomato biscuits tomorrow! Great idea.

Helene said...

I don't know why but for the past 2 weeks my server would kickme out of your site within 30secs, like I was not worthy enough...boohoo!!
One thing my in-laws love is tomato sandwiches. The wraps and cocktails are a great idea!

Anonymous said...

Those wraps looks delicious. Mangoes are in season here so I might just make some.

Kate

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

You know my children have a cucumber addiction. I could feed their habit with those neat wraps!
Love the sound of the cocktail and the glass you served it in.

Annie said...

How cute. I love those wraps. What a great idea!