Monday, April 09, 2007

Easter Weekend

My parents left this morning to go back to B.C. (booo!). We've got a fridge full of leftovers, so we won't have to do much shopping for a few days. Here's some of the stuff we ate.

We had a snack ready Friday afternoon when Mom and Dad got here; sweet and sour meatballs. They were very good, although the sauce didn't get as thick as I would have liked.


Friday night for dinner we had steak and roasted potatos and salad. My parents made their version of Ruth's Chris Chop Salad and lo, it was good.


We had lunch at Ichizen and my Dad said it was better than the Japanese restaurant they go to back home. Next time we go visit them (hopefully next month) I'd like to try it out. For dinner that night we had pasta with olives, capers, fresh oregano and feta cheese. And more Chop Salad!


Sunday morning we showed my parents how to cook omelette's in freezers bags - a super fantastic idea I saw over at Chowtimes. Go here to read about the Ziplock Omelet. There's our 4 bags cooking away...

... and finished product.


We had a very very nice dinner on Sunday night. Roast pork, mashed potatos and honey glazed carrots. Go here to see the pork recipe. To make the honey glazed carrots just steam some carrot slices until tender, then stir in some butter and honey. Add a bit of chopped parsley if you happen to have any handy.


And you can't have Easter without some sort of Chocolate. We made Chocolate Mousse...made with Tofu! It is so damn good. No one would know it's got tofu in it unless you told them. This is the second time we've made it. It won't be the last.

Sweet and Sour Meatballs

adapted from Looneyspoons by Janet and Greta Podleski

1 1/2 lb skinless lean ground chicken
1/2 cup italian style breadcrumbs
1/3 cup diced red onion
1/3 cup chopped parsley
1 egg white
1/2 tsp ground sage
2 garlic cloves minced
1 250 ml jar raspberry jam, seedless if possible
1/4 cup yellow mustard
2 tb horseradish

Mix together the chicken thru garlic until well combined. Form into one-bite meatballs, around 1 inch in diameter. Line two baking trays with parchment paper and spread out the meatballs. Bake at 400' for 15 minutes. At this point you can set the meatballs aside and when you are ready to serve make the sauce and reheat the meatballs.

In a large pan combine the jam mustard and horseradish. Cook until the jam and melted and the sauce is hot. Carefully add in the meatballs and cook, stirring often until the meatballs are heated thru and covered with the sauce.

10 comments:

Peabody said...

I love that omlete idea...especially when you have company and have to make a bunch of them.

Brilynn said...

Tofu is actually pretty versatile and can be added to quite a few things to make them lower in fat without people noticing. I use it in creamy soups to replace the cream.

Glenna said...

Wish I could have been at your house! Your food was all so lovely! Glad you had such a nice visit with your folks.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sara! I agree with Peabody, I love the omelet idea - you can basically cook several all at one time. I've never tried baking with tofu before, but I always hear good things. Sounds like you had a lovely holiday weekend!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Omlets in zip locks! I will be checking that one out. I'm so glad you had a wonderful time with your parents and look forward to being with them again. Gorgeous layout of food and good times.

breadchick said...

I am definitely checking out the omelettes in ziplock bags! And I bet I can get MBH to think he is eating chocolate pudding with the tofu mousse. Another must try of yours!

Anonymous said...

The sweet and sour meatballs are like those Swedish meatballs...just that the Swedish version are savory meatballs served with sweet and sour cranberry sauce by the side :)

Emmy said...

You have the big wooden salad tossers....I've always wanted those!!! Sounds like you had a nice Easter visit with your parents. That chocolate mousse is making me hungry. Looks super yummy. Oh, and I answered your flax question on my blog :)

Lis said...

Wow everything looks wonderful! You guys ate quite well =) Okay so someone needs to be straight up with me.. what does tofu taste like? If I'm going to stay a food blogger I really need to find ways to lower my fat intake, but I'm AFRAID of tofu.

Could you taste it in the mousse? Have you ate it any other way?

xoxo

Sara said...

Peabody - I believe that was the selling point for the author at Chowtimes and I can see why. It's just as easy to make 4 as 1.

Brilynn - I've only had it in chunks in soup, not as a thickener, but that is a great idea.

Glenna - Thank you very much!

Gilly - Tofu is awesome.

Tanna - Thanks! Those omelets will be made in our kitchen again and again.

Mary - I look forward to hearing about MBH and the "pudding".

Tigerfish - you're right, although I think I would prefer Swedish if I had the choice.

Emmy - thank you thank you! Can't wait to try the muffins.

Lis - I am going to email you.