Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Soup or Stew Thursday

This week I am conflicted - for Soup Thursday at Cookin' With Cyndi have I made a soup or a stew? I set out to make a soup but I don't know if it really is. It's so thick and now looking at the leftovers, the pasta seems to have sucked up all the broth. So maybe it's a stew, or maybe it's a soup you just have to add a bit more water to. Whatever. It's the best soup I've had in a long time.


Sorta Minestone Soup

2 tb oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
2 cups vegetable broth
1 28 oz can whole tomatos
2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
salt and pepper
1 tsp italian seasoning
1/4 cup small pasta
2 big handfuls baby spinach

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 2 or 3 minutes more. Pour in the broth. Drain the liquid from the tomatos into the pot and break up the tomatos with your fingers. (Scott loves canned tomatos, so I left the pieces large.) Add the chickpeas, pasta and italian seasoning. Simmer for 15 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper. Rip the spinach into pieces and add to the pot. Stir in and simmer for 5 more minutes.

6 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

A rose by any other name...
Does it matter what you call it if it tastes that good?

foodiechickie said...

Can you call it Stoup? I think I heard that from Rachael Ray too.

Lis said...

Thick or thin it looks delish. =)

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I add too much barley to shank soup and it turns to stew. Once I made a stew using barley and it turned to ... concrete.

Morgan said...

My mom has always called it stoup. The nerve of that Rachel Ray, stealing from my mother...

Sara said...

Tanna, no you're right. This meal won't be defined by a title!

FC - yeah Scott was calling it Schoop, but I didn't tell him that was close to what Rachel Ray would call it, because he doesn't like her.

Lis - thanks!

KH - yikes! it couldn't have been that bad, I can't imagine YOU messing up.

Morgan - I'll help you kick her ass...