Monday, July 11, 2005

The Cook Next Door Meme

Thank you to Ana for tagging me for my first meme.

What is your first memory of baking/cooking on your own?
When I was about 6 or 7, my cousins came from England to visit. My male cousin who was a year or two older than me and I decided to make breakfast one morning. We found a recipe for pancakes in my Disneyland cookbook (I miss that cookbook) and made them. Unfortunately we did not read the recipe all the way through. The recipe called for 10 TB of butter to cook the pancakes in. You were supposed to melt 1 TB, cook some pancakes, and then melt another TB, etc. We melted the whole amount of butter and basically deep fried the pancakes. They were gross.



Who had the most influence on your cooking?
My mom did, and then when I discovered cooking shows on PBS, it was Julia Child and the Frugal Gourmet.


Do you have an old photo as "evidence" of an early exposure to the culinary world?
Does a picture of me covered in chocolate pudding count?


Mageiricophobia - do you suffer from any cooking phobia, a dish that makes your palms sweat?
Turkey, because it is something you normally make on special occasions for lots of people. I am always terrified I will undercook it and that I won't notice until we are sitting at the table eating.


What are your most valued or used kitchen gadgets and/or what was the biggest letdown?
My most valued is probably my Kitchen Aid mixer. I don't use it as much as I thought I would, but it is just so pretty. Most used is probably my tongs and my food processor. I just recently got my processor, and it is surprising just how many uses it has. Most disappointing - my waffle maker. I have had it for years and very rarely does it work as a fairly expensive waffle iron should.


Name some funny or weird food combinations/dishes you really like - and probably no one else does.
This is tough. I like bread with butter and HP sauce. I like teriaki sauce on baked potatos. I like ham sandwiches with potatos chips inside. When I was little, I liked to eat gristle, but thankfully I've outgrown that.


What are three edibles or dishes your simply don't want to live without?
Potatos, milk and tomatos.


Your favorite ice cream?
Vanilla Bean with cherries from Marble Slab.


You will definitely never eat...
Organ meat.


Your own signature dish...
All sorts of pastas.


That was fun! Even though this was sent to me 2 weeks ago (I went on holiday), I will tag Emily at Baking Beast to see if she is still around. Jennifer at Taste Everything Once because her site is so great. I'm sure Kitchen Hand at What I Cooked Last Night is too busy being a new dad, but you never know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love questionnaires, Sara, so look for my answers soon! And thank you.

Ana said...

Loved reading your answers. And yes, a picture of you covered in chocolate pudding does qualify. Must be a sight.

Am I the only person in Blogland who does not have a Kitchen Aid mixer? Mine is a Sunbeam and I order it with my first amount of "points" from Zellers, back in the late eighties or early nineties. Still works fine!

Anonymous said...

I think I've found a search engine with a sense of humor - I was actually looking for articles on how to cook asparagus, and here I am on a site called this post. There's probably an electronic explanation for this and I have enjoyed the experience, so no harm done. Have a nice day Sara - if that's your real name :0)